Head of Department: Craig Gray
e-Learning, Information and Communication Technology
Bring Your Own Device Program (BYOD)
Students in years 7 and 8 are encouraged to bring an iPad to school, students in year 9 are encouraged to bring either an iPad or a laptop to school and students in years 10 to 12 are permitted to bring an iPad or laptop to school but are likely to find that with more volume to the typing they undertake they will benefit from a device with a keyboard.
In terms of the use of iPads in years 7 and 8, the curriculum for students in these year levels will be supported by activities that can be enriched by use of iPad apps and eBooks. Outlined below is some important information for parents and students about the use of iPads at Craigslea SHS.
We encourage the use of iPads in the classroom as a tool to support key learning processes being: accessing, organising, processing and publishing information, collaboration, creativity and communication. Teachers can also make use of iPads to facilitate deeper engagement in learning and higher-order thinking. These processes align with the ACARA ICT Capabilities and are expected to move students away from thinking of ICT devices as being tools for researching, emailing and typing assignments to being catalysts for further knowledge exploration, sharing of new understandings and skill development.
The highly portable and accessible format of the iPad allows students to consume and produce information through:
- Textbooks available in iBook and eBook format – removing the need to carry heavy textbooks in school bags will give on-demand access to these resources without the need for a constant internet access.
- A wide range of classroom apps and tools that form part of the ever-evolving digital platform for learning.
- Access to content rich and valid educational internet resources through the filtered EQ Wi-Fi network while at school and subject to access to internet connection away from school, 24/7 access to that same content.
Suggested additional resources for parents:
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Introduction Letter
- iPad Apps List for Junior Secondary Students
- BYOD Technical Specifications
- BYOD Technology Lockers
- BYOD for Senior Secondary
- BYOD Expectations of Use - Excerpt
- BYOD Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If your students would like to bring their own laptop, minimum specifications are recommended. Please note that these specifications are set to satisfy the general computing uses for students in years 9 to 12.
When specialist software is required for certain classes (for example graphics, FTV, visual art and some of our business subjects), the school's computer labs will be made available for those classes.